Broody Hen and First Time Natural Hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by najeen54, Sep 27, 2016.

1. najeen54

najeen54 Just Hatched

May 23, 2016
    Hi. I have a 1.5 year old blue laced wyandotte who just went broody on me yesterday. She was sitting on 5 eggs in a next box and I added 3 more eggs that I had from the day before. Our rooster is 19 weeks old but has been active with the ladies for a few weeks so I assume that there is a good possibility for fertile eggs. She is in one of our nest boxes. I tried moving her to a box, still inside our run, but she left to eat and then returned to her nest box. I moved the eggs back under her to stay warm. I don't want to hatch the chicks there as its off the ground, and used by the other hens.

Do you suggest I try using something like a large dog crate? Also, we live in North New Jersey and it is starting to get cool at night (50 degrees or so). Is this a horrible time to hatch? We could move them indoors if need be. They would hatch late October.

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    I'd leave the hen where she is with the eggs. Make sure you mark the eggs and remove fresh ones daily. Is the nest box in the coop?

3. najeen54

najeen54 Just Hatched

May 23, 2016
    yes, nest box is in the coop. Do I simply move her to get to the eggs to mark and to the fresh eggs each day? If the eggs do end up hatching, I'm worried they will get injured. Plus, we are in the midst of a coop upgrade and will be switching coops for sure before hatch day. How likely is it that a 19 week old rooster is fertile?

4. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    19 week old cockerel is almost certainly fertile, especially if he has been mating. What breed is he? A coop move would disturb her, and she might stop being broody, so you'd lose the chicks. Just lift the hen up to remove fresh eggs.

5. najeen54

najeen54 Just Hatched

May 23, 2016
    He is a Rhode Island Red. Crowing for months and mating.

I may leave her enclosed in the existing coop and just move my other hens/rooster. This way she is not disturbed. Thanks for the advice!

6. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    Any time! Hope all goes well. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by