Broody hen and gender of chicks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by barbiegirl, Sep 30, 2013.

1. barbiegirl

barbiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    The Poconos Pa
    I have a silkie hen that has hatched out 2 batches of eggs. Last year she hatched out 7 silver laced wyandottes that were all roosters. July 4th, she hatched out 3 mixed banty eggs. All of these chicks look like they are developing saddle feathers now. Has anyone else had a hen that only hatches out one gender of chicks?

2. cackleberrycam

cackleberrycam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2013
    Chicks that hatch have about a fifty percent chance of being roosters,and fifty percent chance of being hens.
    It seems kind of wierd for all of them to be roosters.[​IMG]
    Good luck!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  3. barbiegirl

Feb 23, 2012
    The Poconos Pa
    I know. I thought I should have at least 1 hen in the bunch. I guess I just have bad luck :hit I will see the next time she goes broody what the hatch rate is. So far 100% roosters from 2 clutches of eggs weird.

4. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    How old are they when you are sexing them?
    There is probably a higher probability of you sexing wrong than 2x100% male hatches.
    Can you post pictures to get some second opinions on gender?

That said if you have had two hatches like that I think I'd go buy a lottery ticket as you must be due for some better luck soon lol

5. barbiegirl

Feb 23, 2012
    The Poconos Pa
    My first clutch was 6 months old when I sold them and processed the ones I couldn't sell. The first clutch, last year were very handsome roosters. This new clutch is a few days away from 3 months old, hatched July 4th.. I see the saddle feathers coming in. The saddle feathers are hard to see on the white chicks but they are there.

6. barbiegirl

Feb 23, 2012
    The Poconos Pa
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last years silver laced wyandotte roosters. I don't have a new picture of the new clutch with the saddle feathers coming in.

7. barbiegirl

Feb 23, 2012
    The Poconos Pa
    They are all bantam Sultan mixes, the black and white one is Sultan Polish mix.

[​IMG] You can see the hackle feathers coming in on the Polish and the spiky crest.
    [​IMG] Spiky crest and hackle feathers
    [​IMG]This one has red wattles and comb, they look pink in the picture but they are red, can't tell the saddle and hackle feathers in the picture
    [​IMG]
    This picture you can see the long hackle and some of the saddle feathers coming in.

Sorry the pictures weren't better, they don't stand still and my cell phone doesn't take the best pictures and I tried to zoom in to get the best pictures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by