1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody Hen and her 3 month old pullett

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Iluvmychickens, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Iluvmychickens

Iluvmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I am about to go CRAZY. My hen is sitting on 10 eggs. I can not keep her 3 month old pullet out of the nest. She will either lay right in front of her mother or right behind her. She does try to be helpful by pulling in the hay close to her mother before she lays down, but the poor mother is all upset constantly. I do not know what to do. Should I separate them completely?
    Any advise would be so helpfu

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Now that's an interesting delema. Sorry I don't know what is best. Looks like she must have been a good mom if her pullet doesn't want to leave her side!

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:I have the same thing happen. My cochin adopted baby Buttercups. Tina doesn't remember Buddy, but of course, when Buddy sees Tina acting like a momma to her new babies, Buddy gets very jealous! Tina gets upset and pecks Buddy because she thinks this pullet is trying to "get" her babies. [​IMG]
    Can you seperate the broody and put her in her own brooder?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by