Broody hen and her eggs , What to do?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by barredrockroo32, Mar 6, 2017.

1. barredrockroo32

barredrockroo32 New Egg

Mar 5, 2017
    I have a few questions about hatching out under a broody hen. First of all my most important question is how do i encourage or make my hens lay eggs, if they wont how do i tell which ones arent (i only have 5 hens). No onto the hating phase, so should i keep the hen in the normal coop until she goes broody and then move her adn the eggs to another coop or should i put a hen in the other coop to start with and try to make her broody? which leads to my next question, what is the most effective way or how do i make my hens broody? which would be the best of my chickens to make go broody, i have 2 copper marans which i know are laying and 2 barre rock which are smaller birds and im pretty sure arent laying, i also have 1 buff orpington which is moderately to small in size and im not sure if she is laying or not. sorry for so many question i just want to do it right the first time. Please respond im very curious to know!!!

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Hens will lay eggs when they are receiving the correct amount of light to trigger their hormones to do so. If you want them to lay make sure they are getting ~14 hours of light a day, either daylight or with a light in their coop.

You cannot make a hen go broody. She will go broody only when and if her hormones tell her to. Some breeds are very prone to going broody and some never do because that trait has been bred out of them.

For other questions, you can check out the article linked in my signature.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by