? Broody hen and HOT weather!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shay0903, Jul 12, 2011.

1. shay0903

shay0903 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2011
    I have a pair of patridge wyandotte bantams who rule our securely fenced in back yard ...lol. They actually have a pen but never go in it unless abslutely neccesary. they have an outside (of their pen) nesting box that the hen lays her eggs in. I had several in the box to see what may happen and yesterday she started brooding!!! Yah!! for me because I can't seem to get her fertile eggs to hatch when incubating. But my main ? is regarding the weather... It has been very very hot here and extremely humid. Is it possible her eggs may hatch before the 21 days is up even though this is only day 2 of her sitting?? I didnt give this a thought when I decided to leave the eggs in that box but it really has no protection from the heat there...like the nest in her coop. For instance today is 100 degrees and humidity is 90%!!!! Is it also possible with the heat so high and her sitting on them now they will most likely overheat?? I was just trying ot prepare and thinking about everything in advance because I never honestly thought she would brood although I am thrilled!!! Any suggestions or tips on hens brooding in the hot summer would be helpful, thanks!

2. giggleboxfarm

giggleboxfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Central KY
    I have eggs under a broody too, and we are hitting almost 100. Yesterday I saw her standing over them. Her sister sat on some when it was similarly hot out and she had a couple rotten eggs, but they had been cracked. They were 1 or 2 days early.. kinda 1.5

3. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:I don't think so. If temps are over 100F then if anything she will be cooling them down to the correct temperature! I'd imagine they might hatch a day or so early, cause any time she gets off the nest, the eggs will be heating up instead of cooling down, but I don't think they will overheat with her sitting on them.

I wish we had your weather over in Scotland.

4. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    It was 100 here yesterday too. I noticed my broody standing over the nest and rotating some out from under her for a while. A day early wouldn't hurt my feelings though- I'm so excited I can hardly stand it! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The eggs are due Sat, but my kids are leaving for camp for a week on Friday. I'd love for them to see the chicks ( [​IMG] ) before they go.

5. lynn1961

lynn1961 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    south central Oklahoma
    My broody just hatched hers out, we have had 15 straight days of 100 degree plus weather, no rain for 6 weeks.

6. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    I notice 2 of my broody hens just hoovering over the eggs insted of setting and I move them to bator.

7. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:Giggling at the thought of a houseproud broody running the vacuum cleaner over her eggs. LOL!

summerb123 and AHenry like this.
  8. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Cbarish

Cbarish Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2016
    I have 5 silkie fertile eggs, hatch due this Sat. 7-15. My hen has been sitting, but she gets off for a little bit every other day or so. I noticed they were very hot this past Sat. which I'm sure they have been very hot since the temp has been in the 100's most days. I hope they hatch ok. I'm getting super excited to see them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by