Broody hen and new chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by judial8907, Jul 15, 2011.

1. judial8907

judial8907 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    I know you guys are probably tired of me by now LOL. But I have another question. I have 8 eggs in the incubator right now and they are due to hatch on 7-20 and 7-21. I also have a VERY broody hen out in the coop.She sits everyday on the eggs I pull and is actually super sweet. She was deprived of hatching and raising her chick last month because another hen (unintentionally I think) squished her baby as it was hatching and she went to eat. I think the other hen went to go lay an egg in her nest.

Well anyway this is going to be my last batch of chicks for the year and I was wondering should I take my chances and let her raise them? And if so what is the best way to incorperate the chicks into the flock and most importantly to the broody hen? Or is it better to just keep them in the brooder until they are big enough? I think that it would be good and fulfilling for her (and definately better on my electric bill LOL not that I mind) if I can get them into the coop as soon as I can.

2. Cockadoodledon't

Cockadoodledon't Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it would be nice to let the hen brood the eggs and let her mother the chicks.
    I think the big thing is if you separate her and she will still sit the eggs. You wouldnt want to put them under her so close to having chicks and haver her abandon them.

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by