Broody hen and no fertilized eggs in sight, lol!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by baltimoreharps, May 16, 2009.

1. baltimoreharps

baltimoreharps Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Cabarrus Co.
    Our lead hen has decided that she is going broody and no one is goin to stop her![​IMG]
    I don't have a problem with her being broody, this is the first time we've had chickens and the first broody hen I've ever had. No one told me that she would be SO funny with the growling, fluffing and grouchiness!She gets aggrivated enough, and sounds like a coffee pot perculating!![​IMG]

Dh and I are SO tempted to get some fertilized eggs since we don't have a roo, but I don't want to push my luck with chicks since we're both still new to the adult birds.

Funny, funny bird!

2. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Oh get that woman some eggs!!!! She is bound and determined to hatch something! Let her do her job!

Yes they are sooo funny with all that growling. I never thought about them sounding like a coffee pot perculating. That is good!!!! Describes it well [​IMG]

3. baltimoreharps

Mar 27, 2009
    Cabarrus Co.
    Well, dh JUST said that if I can find the eggs, I can let her have a try at her hatching them!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now, where to get the eggs......[​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  4. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

5. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    you could give her some plastic eggs for 3-4 weeks then go buy some day old chicks to put under her during the night. My year old hen successfully hatched 4 eggs and is a great mother. If you think being broody is so neat to see you should see and hear her with the chicks. She constantly makes a low clucking and her chicks understand every thing she says. Its amazing. I hope she goes broody next spring too, I dont ever want to do chicks in a brooder again.

6. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I have quite a few mixed eggs if you're interested. The roo is an EE and the hens are RIR, Blue Rock, Silkie/EE, & EE (that lays a cream-colored egg). If you want to pay for shipping I'll gladly send you a batch. [​IMG]

ETA: I have 2 broodies right now (a Cochin & a Silkie) and I stuffed 11 eggs under each of them! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  7. momof247371

momof247371 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    definatley get that girl some eggs! she may sit 4 ever if you dont lol my banty blue cochin hen set on a batch of unfertile eggs for 23 days and once i realized she wasnt gettin up until she had some little fuzzy butts to take care of, i slipped some fertile ones under her and she sat on them until they hatched. you could tell she was soooo proud, she had been rewarded for the 44 days she sat and waited! Have faith in her, she will take care of the chicks her self so there will be minimal work from you or your hubby! How exciting! Good Luck!

8. baltimoreharps

Mar 27, 2009
    Cabarrus Co.
    Quote:Wow, you have one determined hen there, 44 days!![​IMG] I don't know how determined our hen is, but she is sure stubborn enough without being broody!

Kelly, how big of a box would it take and would they have to be shipped priority mail? I'm definately interested, thank you!!![​IMG]

9. baltimoreharps

Mar 27, 2009
    Cabarrus Co.
    [​IMG]

Well, she ought to be a VERY happy broody hen, I just ordered a dozen eggs from Quail_Antwerp!![​IMG] [​IMG]
    I'm so excited, we're going to have peeps!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by