Broody hen and other eggs pecking order

MrPaw

Songster
Mar 21, 2019
Zone 8a Washington, North Carolina
I'm thinking about getting hatching eggs of the breed I want to start raising, using a silkie broody hen. They will be separated from the main group but still visible. through a chain link fence. My question is will the chicks, full size Blue Wheaten Ameraucana, change pecking order status as they grow and harm the silkie? If so should the silkie be removed before an age that causes pecking order issues? Or just let them work it out? I would really want to keep them, mommy and growing babies, all together. I'm hoping there will be a rooster from the hatch and I'll move him in with the existing big girls in the main pen.

I'm thinking about getting hatching eggs of the breed I want to start raising, using a silkie broody hen. They will be separated from the main group but still visible. through a chain link fence. My question is will the chicks, full size Blue Wheaten Ameraucana, change pecking order status as they grow and harm the silkie? If so should the silkie be removed before an age that causes pecking order issues? Or just let them work it out? I would really want to keep them, mommy and growing babies, all together. I'm hoping there will be a rooster from the hatch and I'll move him in with the existing big girls in the main pen.
She will always be their mom! I have a tiny Sebright who raised 3 Spitzhauben chicks this summer. They are 4 months old, twice her size now but will always respect Mom. This pic is at 4 weeks.
7-24 hen and chicks.jpg

She will always be their mom! I have a tiny Sebright who raised 3 Spitzhauben chicks this summer. They are 4 months old, twice her size now but will always respect Mom. This pic is at 4 weeks.View attachment 1913845
They are beautiful. The coloring and feather pattern are just too cute. Thank you for letting me know I should have nothing to worry about.

The pecking order will be changed, the strongest will be at the top and the weakest will be at the bottom, it doesn't matter their mother or not, will they harm the silkie?, It depends on the space you have and the temperament of the breed.

Back
Top Bottom