Broody hen and quarantining eggs.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by keds45, Oct 1, 2011.

1. keds45

keds45 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2011
    Hello! sorry if this has been covered elsewhere---there's just so much info here!

My Australorp hen has gone broody--I've moved her, isolated her to a cooler cage for a few days, given her cool baths and had her sit on ice packs, but she won't quit. It has just been about a week and a half though, so maybe I need to try for longer?

Anyhow, I was thinking of getting her a few eggs to hatch out. Is that safe? Can eggs spread anything to my little flock? I was just planing on leaving her in the side of the chicken ark she has taken over. Any input (or ideas of how to de-broodyize her) are appreciated!

2. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I dont think eggs can spread disease easily, but im not sure.
    Good luck!

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I put shipped eggs with my broodies they have better luck. My BCM was broodie all summer I think I got a total of 6 eggs from her and not another one since. I kept giving her eggs but nothing hatched, I think she is an obsessive turner, most of her eggs whether they were mine or shipped ended up with detached air cells, she finally hatched a silkie and she couldn't be more proud of herself. I did however separate her into an empty coop I have because baby was so tiny and I gave her 3 more of the silkies I hatched in incubator. Shes doing great.

4. macdoogle2

macdoogle2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    San Diego
    I had one broody hen that would not quit. Being broody that is. Finaly got her some fertile eggs from a local breeder. She hatched 3 out of 6. She is doing such a good job raising those chicks and it's so much fun to watch. Had another hen go broody. Placed her in a bird cage with a wire bottom for 2 days. Let her out and she re-joined the flock. Has not gone back to being broody so far. To answer your question. I think fertile eggs from elsewhere are safe as far as introducing bad things ti your flock. One of the hatchlings did have a scissor beak though, so genetics are another thing entirely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by