Broody hen and shipped eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AinaWGSD, Apr 17, 2012.

1. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    I think we may have our first broody! My husband went out to collect eggs when we got home this evening to find our blue orp, Gloria, sitting on the nest, fluffed and growling at him. This is very uncharacteristic of her, not only is everyone done laying by the time we get home on Tuesdays but she's always been the type to cast you a wary look when you open the nest box and move if you reach in there. Tonight, my husband lifted her up to get the 5 eggs laid today out from under her. I just went out to pull the waterer and checked, and she is still there (last few weeks she's been sleeping in the doorway to the coop).

We'll give it a few days to see if she's serious, but my husband did mention that maybe we could buy a few hatching eggs to slip under her! [​IMG]Which brings me to the real question at hand, are there any tricks to setting shipped eggs under a broody hen? I know shipped eggs are always a gamble, and I know that it is generally recommended to let them set undisturbed for 12-24 hours before setting them in the incubator (as well as incubating them upright in turners or egg cartons). But the few things I've read about hatching shipped eggs have all been for incubation using an incubator, not a broody hen.

2. karchick

karchick New Egg

Apr 17, 2012
    I have the same question. I was just on this forum looking for tips on how to do this if it is possible. I can't have a rooster because it would bother the neighbors but I'd like to have the hens do the work of raising the chicks.[​IMG]

3. AinaWGSD

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    Anyone have any experiences to share? I'm willing to gamble on shipped eggs, but if I'm even less likely to have a decent hatch rate under a broody than in an incubator I'd rather just slip some of the young chicks we have under her.

4. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    you might look at this thread- its a great help
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ody-hen-hatch-a-long-and-informational-thread

as far as sucess, i will use a broody over a bator- my hatch rate is higher- this last one was 5 of 8 hatched- pretty good- i'd stick with folks here on byc, and look at feedback, or what folks have hatched from a sellers eggs- even well packed can have a problem- depends on the post office- what breeds are you thinking of?

5. AinaWGSD

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    Since Gloria's a big girl, I'm pretty sure we're going to stick with LF eggs. My husband has wanted BLRW since we got the chickens, but the hatchery didn't have any available when we placed our order (and I didn't really want to get them from a hatchery anyway as I was pretty sure I'd be sadly disappointed in their lacing). And I'm awfully fond of Gloria, I really wouldn't mind having a few more orps running around. So those are the two breeds we're leaning towards the strongest, although it's far from decided. There are also some blue sex link hatching eggs in the BST right now that are awfully tempting. I'm hoping to find something that's not more than two or three states away at most to hopefully reduce the amount of abuse they go through on their way here.

6. onebigglo1

onebigglo1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2011
    I haven't tried hatching shipped eggs under a broody hen yet but I did put fertile eggs from my Orps. under my mom's broody hen. Which ever way you go, make sure you separate her from the other hens while she is sitting. I didn't do this until I only had 6 out of 11 eggs left under the hen. The other hens will lay their eggs in the nest with her and can break your hatching eggs. I have found that a dog carrier works great for her to stay in and keep the chicks in. Just make sure you keep plenty of food and water for them. Oh, she hatched out 4. I know at least 10 0f the eggs were fertile so she probably would have hatched more if they hadn't got broken.

7. The Paradise

The Paradise Just Hatched

May 6, 2017
    Simpson La
    Anybody have any info of this ?? I order shipped eggs and place under broody hens a lot.... I let them rest big end up for 24 hours before moving them to broody hen but still get a really low hatch rate ... like 6 out of 20 ... when I candle the eggs the yolk seems to just roll I'm the egg ... maybe shipped eggs do better in bator since they sit upright vs laying down under hen?? Can anyone give me any info ???

8. The Paradise

The Paradise Just Hatched

May 6, 2017
    Simpson La
    I meant roll in the eggs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by