Broody Hen and Tar-like poops

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Camille13, May 11, 2010.

1. Camille13

Camille13 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2009
    OK, I have small children, so talking about poop is part of daily life, but I am not very well versed in Chicken poop-SO-
    I have a broody hen, who is sitting on a clutch of eggs, and I am wondering if her poops are normal for a broody hen. They are not normal for the rest of the flock. They are watery, tar like in color, and smell awful! I thought some animal had sneaked into her portion of the coop and pooped, or that some neighborhood kids had thrown stinky mud in while I wasn't home! Does this fall within normal???
    Anything would be helpful! Thanks!

2. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    That is completely normal, broody hen poop comes out in one big stinky glob.[​IMG]

3. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Yep, they are HUGE and foul-smelling, the worst you'll ever smell and they'll make you want to puke!

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yep, they are nasty as they go! [​IMG]

5. Camille13

Camille13 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2009
    Phew, thanks! I was suspecting so, but I am fairly new to chickens, let alone having one try and hatch eggs. Another 10 days and we will see what happens! Buddha (our rightfully named setting hen) is devoted to these eggs, but my friend I got them from had her hen setting on some, and only one almost hatched. We live in the mtns. and I am hoping the cold weather hasn't affected her eggs. (I have the next box extending from the coop to the outside, and the eggs are on about 4 in. of woodchips for insulation from the bottom. Just hoping that was enough) I am worried she will be devastated if "her" eggs don't hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by