1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody Hen - Anyone else expecting babies next week (10/23 - 10/29)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mommto3kiddos, Oct 20, 2011.

1. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    I really need to take my mind off my dang broody.. Im having major "incubator" jelousy right now [​IMG] ...lol

Its getting down to 34 here tonight, Im freaking that my hen is too cold & her eggs will get to cold, though I have done everything I can think of (besides move her inside).. I even went out to her nursery pen and laid freash straw UNDER her tubberware tub home.. She now has straw, then tubberware plastic, then cardboard, then more straw between babies and cold ground and Im still worried.. UGH

So please any other broody hen hatchers out there right now want to chit chat.. Maybe share pics or worries.. This is my first EVER hatch & first broody.. And this whole cold snap & new babies is making me grey haired!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  2. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    I have a serama hen sitting on 10 eggs

but this is my first time with a serama hen

I really dont have a count on her

3. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Chillin' With My Peeps

Well I'm in Oregon and my my broody should hatch 3 Monday. I think we forget that these girls have down coats on. They should be fine. Mine are nesting in straw as well...

4. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    My two Silkies are sitting on over 16 eggs. They are sitting on bantam Cochins, an Ameraucana and Silkie/Silkie cross eggs - I am not sure if the Silkie cockerel, Orpington cockerels or the Australorp cockerel got the girls before they went broody. It was just Pearl sitting, then Vittles joined in. They should hatch on Tuesday the 25th. They are in an 18 gallon tote with 4" of shavings to lay on. It has a lid and I cut a hole just big enough for them to get in. I'm not concerned about their warmth. I am sure they are making more than enough body heat in that small area. I am more concerned the other birds are going to kill the chicks when they hatch, so I am moving them to the small coop this weekend.

I haven't candled any of these eggs... I decided I didn't want to bug the poor girls. I already moved them twice.

5. mommto3kiddos

Mar 9, 2011
    Do you have your hens seperated and/or will you seperate them once babies arrive?

6. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Quote:Before the chicks hatch. [​IMG]

7. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't plan too at this point. The mom is alpha hen and already has everyone else terrified of her. The chicks will be fine. The halloween hatch, I don't know yet... I'll have to see how YumYum is with the broody, Mamasan, still sitting. Both Ladies raised their chicks in a mixed gender environment previously so I'll have to play it by ear.

Quote:

8. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Yeah, my Silkies are low in the pecking order. I mean, all my bantam breeds are. It's not like my little girls are going to stand up to an Orpington cockerel nearly 5 to 8x their size.

9. mommto3kiddos

Mar 9, 2011
    My broody is the only Banty we have and is bottom on the totem pole.. I have her outside in a set-up run by herself, but I think Im gonna move her to the garage in our big dog crate and set it up as a kinda grow-out broody hen brooder.. Did that make sence.. For some reason we are having unusually cold weather for this time of year here and since she is a tiny banty and sitting on 7 regular size chicken eggs Im afraid since they will grow so fast and be bigger than her she might have issues keeping all of them warm enough.. Guess I will have to see how many actually hatch before I decide to move or not..

Anyone ever made a brooder with a heat lamp for a broody and her chicks to help her keep them warm???

10. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    I have a broody banty too and she has a week old banty/??? cross chick and should have a sex link/?? cross chick hatch this weekend it was moving a little this morning. It frosted last night and my coop is the shop at the moment and I put a heat lamp bulb in her enclosure earlier this week because we had some nasty cold wind and I didn't want the chick to get a chill when he came out to eat. I have Smore's in a fridge cablinet with plastic chicken wire covering the front so she can see whats going on and the others can see her and Grayson. Her nest box is a cardboard box with shavings and hay in it and it's on a concrete floor and i have a feeder and waterer in their enclosure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by