1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody hen area

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 3 Chicks, Nov 15, 2014.

1. 3 Chicks

3 Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2012
    Hello! I'm excited to have put 12 eggs under my broody hen this afternoon! I have done this once before with a broody but decided to move her nest so she could be more secluded. This time, I'm going to leave her in the nesting box since all my other girls are molting and aren't laying eggs. My question is, I would like to secure some bird netting to the opening to that none of the other hens can get to her. If I do that, it would mean she's locked in an area probably 2.5x3. Is that enough space for her to stretch, use the bathroom, and nest?

2. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    You will need to let her out for awhile everyday so she can stretch her legs, scratch around, and dust bathe. When she's done she should go right back to her eggs. My broody did her thing in an Xlarge dog kennel. I went out everyday and let her out. She would do her thing for 1/2 hr to an hour and go back to the nest. If I opened the door and she didn't want out I just left it open for her and checked to see when she went out back in. It wasn't her I worried about so much as one of my Barred Rocks, who wasn't broody, but wanted to mess with the eggs.

3. 3 Chicks

Jul 18, 2012
    What I was going to put up was not going to be able to open for her. And since she's in the nesting box, theres a door for me to get eggs but it's high for her to be able to get out. So, you think that plan won't work?

4. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    It may work. Just watch for signs of her getting stressed and restless. If she does you may have to find a way to let her get some exercise.

5. 3 Chicks

Jul 18, 2012
    I may give it a try and see how it goes. I just don't want to stress her out and have her stomp on he eggs.

The other girls are a little too curious! Although I haven't seen them hurt her, I don't trust them. I have put put a new egg laying area for them if they need it over the next 3 weeks. However, I'm thinking they're in for another month of molting.

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Some of my hens I leave in the nest box. However, I have a couple that get confused and go back to the wrong eggs, so I separate them. They do their brooding business in a hutch thats probably 3x5 (maybe a little less), and I don't let them out until they're finished. They get food, water (a rabbit water bottle to save some space), a small pan filled with dirt for dust bathing and a milk crate for a nest box. They do well in there.
    Personally, if the hens aren't bothering her, I'd leave the netting off and see how things go. You can always add something later if there are problems. Good luck :)

7. 3 Chicks

Jul 18, 2012
    I'm still not sure what to do. The others seem very curious about her and she's the lowest girl on the totem pole. Today she came down to eat and drink (which I was happy about) and they were picking on her. I would hate for something to happen while I was at work with all of them and we lose all of the eggs or even worse she gets hurt. I have nice chickens overall but you know how they are [​IMG]. Seems safer to seclude her but I'm afraid I've waited too long. Now I have to figure out the best scenario with her in the nesting box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by