Broody Hen Ate an EGG! AAAH!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by swedishfish, Apr 23, 2009.

1. swedishfish

swedishfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    I've got a broody Buff Brahma, and she's real sweet. I've sepparated her from the others by shutting the door that divides the coop. I've put her normal feed it there, water, and little clumps of yummy grass that my other chickens love...plus a few random snacks...She hasn't eaten much of any of it! AND she just ate an egg this afternoon![​IMG] Why? I know chickens love eggs, but I haven't had a real egg-addicted chicken and it kinda suprised me that she ate her own egg! Is it because she is picky when she gets broody? is it because she had too many eggs under her? Is it just because she wanted to get back at me for separating her from the others, or that she just wanted to really get on my nerves? I think I'll cook her an egg tomorrow when I get home from school (never done that before, seems a bit like cannibalism) but is there any explaination as to why she ate her egg? Is there any way I can prevent it from happening again? Last year my one of my Brahmas (not sure if it was the same one) got broody and only hatched one chick. I was hoping for better luck this time. Any advice would just completely make my day!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    It's very difficult to break any hen of egg eating.

3. swedishfish

swedishfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    but she normally doesn't eat eggs! None of my chickies has eaten an egg for a really long time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by