Broody Hen ate three of her four eggs.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gusku, May 26, 2016.

1. Gusku

Gusku New Egg

May 26, 2016
    We had a polish crested go broody, we put her in a safe, small chicken house with plenty of food and water and checked on her every night, we candled the eggs at the appropriate times, but one went missing, then another, and finally, we caught her with shell in her beak and only a bit of egg left on the ground, she did hatch the last egg, and is a very protective mother, she wont let us withing ten feet of the little guy. We only got to check him out at night while she was asleep in the small coop.

Any explanations???? Also, I'm really new, so hello everyone! [​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Some hens will eat bad eggs to clean up the nest, so it might have been something like that. I've not heard of a polish going broody and raising chicks, so that is something new for me.

3. Gusku

Gusku New Egg

May 26, 2016
    I'm pretty sure it's a one time thing, but she is only about a year old, so... who knows.[​IMG] Thanks for giving insight into her behavior! She is proving to be confusing us in just about every way. It was a shock to see her go broody, both because of her breed, and the fact that it was the first hen that has done that on our farm.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Polish are odd chickens, they have their own way of doing things that doesn't always makes sense.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by