Broody hen attacked by another hen/ added pics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wolftracks, Jul 22, 2011.

1. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    I got a knock on the door this morning at 7am and the kid next door said two of my birds were fighting and one wasn't moving. He walked down his side of the fence and I ran out back. I saw one of my broodies with some marks on her comb, but he called me over and pointed the other out. I found my Sunshine laying against the wire and when I picked her up, her entire head was bleeding. She couldn't even open her eyes.

I think what happened is, Sunshine is a really good mom and takes in the extra babies. She must have gotten to close to the other hen's chick and she attacked her. The kid said my FBCM roo, Pierre broke up the fight. Really impressed him. He said the rooster ran over and broke it up and chased off the other broody, then went and guarded Sunshine. He wouldn't let the others near her. I saw him when I ran for her, but was affraid he was also attacking her, since she was bleeding so badly.

I cleaned her up. I didn't think she was goin got make it at all, but other than the pecks she seems alright. Not drinking so I'm dipping her beak once in a while. She's fighting that though, because her head and face is so swollen, she can't see. I have no idea if her eyes are damaged, because she can't open them. She stands and doesn't lay down. I think she laid down for maybe 20 minutes all day. Tried to get her to eat, but she's not having any of that.

So my problem is swelling. He head is about twice the normal size. I've cleaned it and smeared triple antibiotic gel on it, but I need to get the swelling down. I'm tried ice, but she fights it and opens the wounds. I can't afford to take myself to a doctor, so I can't afford a vet. I've taken care of a lot of wounded birds and helped others with theirs, but I need some ideas about the swelling. I think if it goes down, she'll be able to see and that alone with be a lot of help.

Any ideas?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  2. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    I was just checking her and one eye is open slightly. Better than all day. Still need to get more swelling down.

3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    If the injuries are not too severe, the swelling should go down on its own over the next 24-48 hours. At least enough for her to see.

I would recommend to tey to keep her head clean and continue the Triple Anti to keep it infection free.

If she is not eating on her own within 48 hours I would force some water and food in her.

I have brought 2 birds back from a hawk and a possum. They both had heads so swollen they could not see. The Roo was being dragged head first across the coop by a possum. It took a week of force feeding before he could see, though he had lost 1 eye. He made a full recovery except the eye. Caramel, bantam hen, had her head tore up by a hawk and her skull almost pierced. Took 2 weeks of force feeding. 1 for the outer swelling and another because of the brain swelling/injury. The seizures were scary. She made a 95% recovery with alot of TLC and living in the house for 3 months.

I use my special mix for force feeding and a energy booster. It is Applesauce, starter grower(adds texture), and Poultry vitamins/Electrolytes. I mix it thin at first and use a dropper or 1 CC syringe with the end cut off to force feed. That way you can get past the trachea opening and not have to worry about choking. It may seem harsh, but getting food or some sort of nutrients in them is essential for healing. With a bird not moving they don't need alot of food, so a good Vitamin mix works wonders for small amounts of food.

Matt

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  4. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Wish I had something really good to suggest, but I don't. It sounds very hopeful that the eye has opened. I'd keep her fairly well gooped up with the triple antibiotic. Hopefully the swelling is just from the trauma and it will continue to go down. I'd offer her water as you are doing, but probably wouldn't push even that too much for a day or two. I hope as she is able to see it, she will begin to drink. If you have any pedialyte or a Gatorade type drink around, I'd add just a little to the water, or maybe even a pinch or two of sugar for a day or two.

5. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    OK I have vitamins and electrolytes in her water.

I'm more afraid of choking her, so i just dribble it at the side of her beak.

I think I'll try the applesauce and grower. How thin is thin? I have lots of syringes here and some seem big enough to use. If I add the electrolytes to this, is it that I'm adding it as it should be mixed in water?

I was hoping she'd eat on her own. I tried some cold veggies and fruit, thinking not only would she eat, but maybe the cold would help the swelling.

Poor baby. She's beautiful American Game. She was one of the first I replaced my last flock with, so she's been here over a year. She was the first broody this summer. She disappeared and came back with chicks a few weeks later.

She's not a mean bird, but like her space and isn't thrilled about being held, so when she just laid on my lap while I took care of her and didn't move during all the cleaning, I was really worried.

I think I'm taking the chicks to the auction on monday. There's no way she can take care of them and by the time she gets better thay will be so much bigger.

I sure hope something helps here.

6. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Not a great pic since from my phone, but maybe you can see enough to tell if I'm missing something.

I hate being blind. ddawn, thank's for the sugar reminder. Funny how you can help someone else, but when you're doin it yourself things skip your mind.

[​IMG]

This is the hen that I am pretty sure did the damage. She has a few cuts, but nothing bleeding and she's fine.

[​IMG]

My third broody seems to not mind the extra chicks in her box. Might have to take pics of them if I can get the lighting. Glad my Juliet takes being mothering to the level of stepping in.

7. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Sorry, the pic of the injured hen is too dark to see much. Hope your girl gets better. Second one is very clear, but no injuries to be seen.

8. chirpingcricket

chirpingcricket Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Fairhope, AL
    Hey,
    Can't add much but prayers!!!
    We learn so much from others here, our prayers go with you through these next few hours, days and weeks. Hang in there, and what a trooper(s) you, your neighbor, Roo, and of course, your broody hen!!!

9. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I wouldn't try to force feed her for a day or 2. She will be ok for that amount of time with just the dribbled water. Looks like it is all superficial, but it is hard to see. I would bet that the swelling will be down enough for her to eat on her own fairly quickly.

If needed later, I just sprinkle some of a Vit powder directly in the applesauce mix. 'Thin' is thin enough to go through the syringe/dropper.

Matt

10. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Quote:How much would you sprinkle. It is a teaspoon to a gallon. And it's wait and see if she eats. I have her in a box just big enough for her yo yurn around in and have room for some starter. I sprinkled a little starter on the bottom incase she decides to scratch. Figure it couldn't hurt.

I was supposed to make pens today and instead I've been taking care if her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by