Broody hen attacked HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SixChicksNapa, Nov 6, 2010.

1. SixChicksNapa

SixChicksNapa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2010
    hello i have a broody hen who refuses to stop bieng broody and has been broody for almost a month, but thats beside the point. Every time i take her out into the run with the other five birds if she gets anywhere near them she is instantly attacked. Shes seems to be perfectly healthy and now has a few peck wounds on her face but thats it. Does anybody know how to make them stop attacking her??
    And for a litttle more context they are all 14 months old and there are six hens with no roosters. The broody sits in a nest box all day and they still attack her. Alos i have posted this in the emergencies section too.

thanks

-Jake

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Humm, what color is the hen? Red by any chance? Does she have any wounds on her? It could just be that she has been in the nest so long that they think she is a different/new chicken and they're trying to show her who's boss. I know when my broodies hatch babies out I always remove them to a private area to raise their chicks, when the chicks are old enought to go to the coop I move the momma and the chicks to the coop. The chickens try and show the "New Comer" who's boss, that could be what's happening.

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

It could just be that she has been in the nest so long that they think she is a different/new chicken and they're trying to show her who's boss. I know when my broodies hatch babies out I always remove them to a private area to raise their chicks, when the chicks are old enought to go to the coop I move the momma and the chicks to the coop. The chickens try and show the "New Comer" who's boss, that could be what's happening.

That would be my guess also. The other possibility that comes to mind is that she is ill and not broody (are you seeing the big broody poos etc. ?) and that is why they are attacking her.​

4. SixChicksNapa

SixChicksNapa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2010
    when i take her out i have seen her do broody poos, only one poo looked a little strange, she does have a few peck wounds on her face that are really fresh. I posted this in the emergencies and someone said that i should separate the ones that are attacking her for a few days so that they end up bing lower in the pecking order. What do you think. Oh and btw the eggs she's laying on arent fertilized and i take them from her every day, she just wont stop being broody [​IMG]

5. coulter5

coulter5 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2010
    Townsend, MA
    I had a broody hen that was laying on un-fertilized eggs.
    I had to coerce her off of the eggs every day and she ran around the run squawking
    then settled back in the nest.
    It went on for about a month then stopped.
    It was one of my largest hens a big buff orpington.
    No one attacked her though...

Not sure what the attacks are about.

-Mike

6. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Taking the bully hens out for a few days to knock them down a few notches in the pecking order can help.

Personally I'd break your broody if you don't plan on getting her some fertile eggs or foster chicks. Not everybody aggrees with breaking them and will let them just sit on shavings until they give up on their own, but I don't see the point in letting them neglect themselves like that for no purpose.

I put my broody girls in a wire bottom rabbit hutch with food/water but nothing they can use for nesting material to break them. It usually only takes a few days for them to stop being broody, though the really dedicated ones will try again after a month or so.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  7. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Quote:I totally agree with this. Also you should leave the cage in with the other chickens. Thats what i do with mine when im bringing in new chickens. So the others get to see her and know her, so when you let her in with the others they dont try and kill her or wound her to bad. They will peck her a little just to show her who's boss and where she stands in the pecking order. Hope this helps.

8. kano

kano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Santiago de Chile
    Quote:I totally agree with this. Also you should leave the cage in with the other chickens. Thats what i do with mine when im bringing in new chickens. So the others get to see her and know her, so when you let her in with the others they dont try and kill her or wound her to bad. They will peck her a little just to show her who's boss and where she stands in the pecking order. Hope this helps.

This is the rigth way to solution your problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by