Broody hen attacked in coop by my daughters 6mth old, 30pd puppy while out of town. GRAPHIC PHOTOS

donnaboydjones

Songster
11 Years
Jul 7, 2011
Whidbey Island, Washington State
I have a beautiful and docile Americana that was broody for a week and a half and I had to fly to Florida( Wednesday) for a family/health emergency. Returning home last night, my husband informs me that one of my hens was attacked , but he had no idea how/why/or when. I went to the chicken coop and there she was on her eggs. I hardly recognized her. She has no feathers on her back, her neck or her wings. The skin has already started scabbing over. My husband, not knowing my chickens and not wanting to upset me, when he found her Friday night, locked her in a separate section in the coop to keep her away from the flock, which he didn't know , but kept her from her eggs as well and she escaped when he opened her section to check on her on Saturday morning( she went to her eggs) He said he didn't want to upset me by telling me about her while I was dealing with my family.
I know that her eggs, which all five were developing when I left, have to be disposed since she was off of them for more then 12 hours. I immediately put her and her eggs in a area away from all the other hens, but she wont lay on them and wants out of confinement.
With the fact this mauling was done on Friday at sometime , what can I do, if anything to clean her injuries? She has a nasty one on the back of her head and on her side. I truly believe it was my daughters new puppy because Saturday my youngest sent a pic of the puppies cheek where it had a stab wound in it, I'm pretty sure my rooster went in the hen house and saved her or the puppy wouldn't have stopped. Yes, the puppy went through the chicken door and got this poor hen as she sat on her eggs.
Our daily temps right now are 30's at night and 60's during the day, but should I still be worried about flies? She is eating 'cause I took her some protein to help with her feathers when I got home and tried to make her comfortable. I don't want her to suffer if anyone with experience thinks she's too far gone. But, she is clucking and eating as we speak. My best friend is a Vet and is going to give her a shot today of antibiotics.

I've seen worse make complete recoveries. Your vet friend should be able to help you get it properly cleaned.

-Kathy

The antibiotic shot is a good idea and the vet should be able to tell you what to do.
Here's what I do. Treat the wound twice a day. Flush with saline, then wipe it with Betadine, then apply Campho-Phenique, then pack with a triple antibiotic ointment like neo-sporin. Then a subcutaneous shot for about 3 days.

For the eggs - they may not be lost. Read through the following link.

http://www.brinsea.com/customerservice/poweroff.html

I agree with casportpony, far worse cases have made it. The fact that she's still alive and even eating means there is hope.

As for the eggs, in my experience they can survive being left to completely chill through, all the way up until they are actually trying to pip the shell. They go into dormant mode when the temperature drops too far. They can cope with being left overnight every night if healthy enough. Found that out by accident through winter, long story, but healthy eggs would still be viable.

Best wishes. Hope she makes it.

The antibiotic shot is a good idea and the vet should be able to tell you what to do.
Here's what I do. Treat the wound twice a day. Flush with saline, then wipe it with Betadine, then apply Campho-Phenique, then pack with a triple antibiotic ointment like neo-sporin. Then a subcutaneous shot for about 3 days.

For the eggs - they may not be lost. Read through the following link.

http://www.brinsea.com/customerservice/poweroff.html
X2

Thank you ladies for taking the time out to reply. I took my hen yesterday to the vet and she is on a antibiotic , twice a day for ten days. I went ahead and put her eggs under another broody hen, because she is still refusing to relax and sit. Once she calms down and wants to sit ( if she does) I've got some eggs to put under her which will work out since we can't consume her eggs for 3-4 weeks from the medication.

Thank you ladies for taking the time out to reply. I took my hen yesterday to the vet and she is on a antibiotic , twice a day for ten days. I went ahead and put her eggs under another broody hen, because she is still refusing to relax and sit. Once she calms down and wants to sit ( if she does) I've got some eggs to put under her which will work out since we can't consume her eggs for 3-4 weeks from the medication.
Sounds like a great plan! Curiously, what antibiotic did your vet recommend?

-Kathy

Usually trauma like that will break broodiness and stop egg laying for up to a month or more.

Back
Top Bottom