Broody hen attacking another's nest/eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by quackherd, Jun 30, 2011.

1. quackherd

quackherd New Egg

Jun 30, 2011
    Ok, I have had ducks for several years, free range, no predator problems. The nests in question are right off my front porch. I have two magpie hens, nesting right next to each other. This is their second time setting, nothing ever happen with the first clutches, the eggs just "disappeared". So they've set again, problem is the eggs from one of the nests have been destroyed, found evidence this AM of a busted egg and very young chick laying on the ground, surrounded by yolk......now one of the hens' nest is empty of any eggs, I suspect the same fate for the other eggs that disappeared.......now both hens are still setting, one on the remaining nest with eggs and the other on a bare spot under the bush they original have been setting under.......Any suggestions? I don't know which hen is doing the damage........so don't know who to evict. They are a large lot with other ducks, who have successfully hatched out two different clutches.............their diet consists of layer pellets, grower, starter, scratch and green peas as treats weekly. they have free access to containers of water, changed daily and access to an artificially created "creek". Suggestions?

Oh yeah, they have free access to oyster shell so don't think it is a calcium thing

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  2. quackherd

quackherd New Egg

Jun 30, 2011
    Ok, so does this mean no one has any idea why? or a possible solution? Will have to let it play out I guess and see what happens. My other hens are doing fine, one is on her second clutch, her first hatchlings almost grown already. A blue swede just started setting earlier this week.

Thanks

3. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Maybe seperate the 2 if you can? If they are seperated and they are still diappearing then you know they are not going after each others nests.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by