Broody Hen Attacking Rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by frenchiegirl21, Mar 12, 2013.

1. frenchiegirl21

frenchiegirl21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    South Central Texas
    Hello!

I have 6 Old English Game Bantams. One of the hens has gone broody, which is not good. I have tried hatching under her before but she gives up after 2 weeks. I am taking her off the nest and trying to discourage her, but it is not working. She has taken to attacking my OEGB rooster every time he comes near the nest. They live in a small hutch-type coop, and the nest is by the door so I can reach it, so he goes by the nest every morning when he leaves the coop. She draws blood every time, and his comb is all scarred up now. I am afraid she will end up killing him, or that the blood will attract predators. Is there another way to discourage her from brooding or to prevent her from attacking my rooster? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Rachel

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Separate her into a wire cage without bedding to bring her body temp down. Usually a couple of days does the trick. Otherwise, you could let her sit and break herself after 2 weeks or be pleasantly surprised if she gets it done this tine. If her last try was the first time she'd gone broody, she may have just been a little confused. My best broody did the same thing, I swore I'd never let her sit again. But, of course I did, and she was the best momma ever! Good luck!
    Nikki

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  3. DavidKerk

DavidKerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    If that doesn't work, which it should, you could look at the "How to break a broody hen" by searching the title in the BYC search.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  4. frenchiegirl21

frenchiegirl21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    South Central Texas
    I just hatched a bunch of chicks in my incubator. Do you think she would accept some chicks to raise? That might help keep her from attacking the rooster. Her cage is wire floored and above the ground, and the nestbox is just an old cuties orange box, so it has holes in the bottom that allow air through.

5. DavidKerk

DavidKerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    I heard that a hen has to be on the nest for about two weeks before she will accept chicks. I think you could try it though, but make sure to take the chicks out after even a couple pecks from the broody. Your other chickens will kill the chicks if given the chance so you would either have to section off part of the coop for her and her chicks or put them somewhere different.

6. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    sneak down in the dark, and if the chicks are slightly cooled it works better. People often think it is just the broody hen, but it is a relationship between the chick and the hen, and both have to get it. If your chicks are too old, they won't get it.

Anyway, slip a chick onto her back, and the chick should instinctively dive to get under her and get warmed up. The sound of her clucking should change as soon as she hears the chicks, if it doesn't, it probably is not going to work. She will cluck, nearly continuously, and the expression on her face changes, she should be intensely interested in the chicks.

If you get that kind of response, she will take them, leave them and her alone. Any hen taking on the roo, the rest of the flock will give her plenty of space, and you can raise the chicks in the flock with your layers.

MrsK

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by