Broody hen bails

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Pupsnpullets, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    One of my girls has been brooding a few eggs for 2 weeks and today she left the nest for possibly a couple of hours. When I noticed the eggs weren't cold but they were definately on the lukewarm-cool side. Then, out of the blue, she was back on them! What are the chances of them hatching out now?

Barb

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    they will be fine many types of birds actualy require they eggs to cool down for a little while each day.

Good Luck,
    Henry

3. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    they will be fine.as said the hen needs to get off nest to eat an drink.an streach her legs.

4. championny

championny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    I had that happen, but she abandoned for good. I guess she figured motherhood wasn't her thing. [​IMG]

5. normajean

normajean Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Howell, MI
    how long away from the nest should we start to worry about abandonment?
    thanks,
    nj

6. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    My goofy cochins have never abandoned eggs. Right now I have 6 broodies. Only 3 nests have eggs in them ( I take all the rest) and when one broody gets off her eggs one of the other broodies steals them. It is like musical nests. [​IMG]

If your broody goes to roost at night, you know for sure she is done sitting her eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by