Broody Hen Being Pecked

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicknewbie, Jun 20, 2010.

1. chicknewbie

chicknewbie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2009
    Yadkinville
    I have a 1 yr old Buff who has finally stopped being broody after about 2 months. She is loosing her feathers by the hand full. Now the other hens are attacking her relentlessly. She is so freaked out trying to get away from them she hides in the corners of the coop. I don't think she is getting much food either. Right now I don't have a separate pen to put her in. My thinking is that if she got her feathers back maybe they would lay off pecking her. Any suggestions? Thanks

2. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    She probably won't get her feathers back until she molts; I have an Australorpe with the same issue. However if she has open cuts you can treat them with blukote.

As with all pecking make sure that she has room to get away and check that the chickens have enough room and good food.

It's sometimes necessary to build a separate area for chickens who need care, just a bit of fencing around a garden works for me. The one to isolate is not the bird that's being pecked, but the ring leader of the other hens. Watch them for a while and you'll be able to identify her. Sometimes a bit of time in the naughty pen can do an attitude adjustment.

Mary

3. chicknewbie

chicknewbie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2009
    Yadkinville
    Thanks for the advise. I was able to let them out to free range today and she is hanging with the group. They seem to be giving her a break. I just hate to hear her squeal when they get at her. I am working on that extra pen!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by