Broody hen being picked on.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bucky52, Nov 22, 2013.

1. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    When ever I have a broody hen come off the nest.several of the hens will peck her.and run her out of the run.I have one hen that went broody in april and hatched 8 babies.and up to this day she is picked on and chased away from the food and treats.she will come back and gobble some food and she tries to stay as far away from mean ones.I do feel bad for her and I scold the ones that pick on her.is this just normal chicken behavior?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've never had this happen. Here the broody is the one who is aggressive, to protect her chicks, and she has never has trouble going back to the group when the chicks are grown. Can you identify a "lead bully?" If so, I would try separating her from the flock, out of earshot, for a week then reintroducing. I wonder if the broody has some weakness or illlness that they sense, and this is causing them to attack her. Can you put out a separate feeder and waterer in a separate place? It could also be that the problem could be resolved by increasing their living space, depending on your setup, of course. Or, there is something else going on I haven't thought of, or wouldn't know, sorry.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I too have never had that happen. Was your broody removed from the flock? Or did she raise her babies in with the flock? If you removed her from the flock, then she lost her pecking order. If you can identify the lead bully, try removing her from the flock for a week and hopefully reduce her lead hen status in the flock.

4. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    the bully is a white rock.they were all raised together.and I do have food and water in different areas of the run.i have 10 hens.our runs and coops are 30x30 so they have plenty of space.each run can be closed off.the broody is sitting on one fake egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by