Broody hen belly bald for winter!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DanyyChicken, Nov 19, 2011.

1. DanyyChicken

DanyyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southern NH
    So this is my first flock and I have just had my first silkie x go broody on me. I've read a couple of threads on here that recommends placing broody in wire cage with no bedding to break them. I have a large wire rabbit cage with 1/2 " wire cloth bottom and removable poop tray. I'm assuming this would be suitable for the task. One of my questions would be if it ok to set her in this within the coop day and night when nighttime temps are expected to be 32 degrees or lower. She has no feather left on her breast as she has been plucking them in the nest boxes. Will the cold wire against her bare skin be to much? Should I do this treatment in the garage instead where it would be above freezing?
    Once I break her will she make it thru the winter ok with no feathers on the underside of her body?
    If I don't do the cage treatment to break her would she just snap out of it herself after 21 days?
    I have been removing eggs from under her for about a week now. Will her health be weakened if not broken of it as she is eating less due to setting in nest box most all the day.

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    If you want to try to break her in your rabbit cage, give it a try. If you're worried about her being cold then move the cage to the garage but I don't see why she wouldn't be okay outdoors. It hasn't been unusually cold here lately.

If you don't try to break her then who knows when she will give up. I've had some quit after a month, and others have persisted for up to 8 months. On NOTHING - crazy birds!

3. DanyyChicken

Mar 30, 2011
    Southern NH
    WOW... 8 months really... That's crazy![​IMG]

4. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    The rabbit cage worked for me. I kept her in my basement at night not because of the cold, but because the rabbit cage isn't predator proof. The spacing between the wires is more than 1", enough for a weasel. And let's face it, a squirrel could open those cheap things up. I wouldn't worry about the temp on her bald belly. Mine sat outside in the cage during the day, and it was 19 degrees out.

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Quote:Yeah, it is. Nutty Asils, could not break them. A rather determined lot.

6. DanyyChicken

Mar 30, 2011
    Southern NH
    Ok thanks for all your knowledge. I will forge ahead with mission broody buster. It's not so much I mind her not laying eggs as much as I feel like she's missing out on all the fun and good treats. I bought her cause she was pretty not so much for production.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by