Broody hen bite!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bakerjw, Nov 21, 2010.

1. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    4 weeks ago I had a hen go broody. I had 11 fertilized eggs. I now have 3 White Legorn and 4 LegBright/SeaHorn chicks.
    3 weeks ago my favorite White Leghorn hen went missing. She showed up again and disappeared off the a hidden nest. I've gotten 4 living chicks out of 13 eggs so far from her efforts.
    Today another hen went missing. I found her sitting on a nest and tried to inspect to see how many eggs were under her. And SHE BIT ME!!! [​IMG]

I suppose the good news is that I'll be getting more late season chicks in about 3 weeks. Even though my wife said "ENOUGH CHICKENS!!!!"

2. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

What?! You're not gonna listen to your wife? [​IMG]

3. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    my broody attacked the NPIP testing vet this summer. he tried to mesmerize her with his gloved hand but she launched her self at him and bit his bare wrist. never seen a banty frizzle cochin leap [​IMG]

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Broody hens and bites go hand in hand-ask me how I know. [​IMG]
    Got bitten pretty much every day this summer while getting the eggs out from under one broody or another!

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

I was just sitting here thinking how cool it would be to hatch some of your calls under my silkie in the spring, only I know I'll have the worlds only non-broody silkie. [​IMG]

I would love to be in your shoes Baker and get bitten. DH says the only new chickens I can have are the ones my hens hatch out. In the spring I plan on hatching out some of easttxchick's call ducks and somehow convince DH that they are just strange looking chickens.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    You haven't known a hen bite until you've been bitten by an Oriental Gamefowl hen (Thai, Shamo, Asil, etc) Those gals are some tough moms, and know just how to bite. Seriously, they look like a dinosaur - And they also bite like one. [​IMG]

7. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

I was just sitting here thinking how cool it would be to hatch some of your calls under my silkie in the spring, only I know I'll have the worlds only non-broody silkie. [​IMG]

I would love to be in your shoes Baker and get bitten. DH says the only new chickens I can have are the ones my hens hatch out. In the spring I plan on hatching out some of easttxchick's call ducks and somehow convince DH that they are just strange looking chickens.

As soon as I hit the submit button, Kat, I was afraid you were going to see this. Sorry...[​IMG]
    I've gotcha in mind for the eggs, Kat-just let me know when you're ready! You've seen their pics on FB-their ready for their offspring to migrate to Arkansas!

8. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    This is my 3rd broody. The first 2 were peaceful as could be. The second one even eats from my hand and makes a contented "uck uck uck" sound.

Oh well. This one will get hungry and I'll offer her food first so she knows that the human rooster is her friend. But still. She bit me! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by