Broody Hen breaking my heart

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wyo Chick, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Wyo Chick

Wyo Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

I have another broody banty hen. She wants to lay on eggs so badly. I take her off and she wanders around lost and making humming sounds. So sad. I already let one of my bantys sit on eggs. Don't really want any more. It breaks my heart watching her. I feel like I am taking her children away. LOL [​IMG]

2. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    How about giving her a golf ball to sit on? Is your other hen still sitting or already done? If she is still sitting when the chicks hatch you could take one and give it to the other hen to raise?? Or just let her sit on the golf ball till she come out of her broodiness?? [​IMG]

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Meanie. (kidding)

Who's gonna cave first, the banty or the human? (My bet's on the human) [​IMG]

4. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    Quote:Chooks has it right.....My bet is also on the human hollering uncle first!

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Chooks has it right.....My bet is also on the human hollering uncle first!

Ha! I love your avatar!!!! [​IMG]

6. Wyo Chick

Wyo Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

My banty has already hatched silkies for me. They are 6 weeks old. I will not cave, I will not cave, I will not cave! I will not look her in the eye!

7. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

You are much tougher than I, much stronger than I also.

I would give her eggs.............their drive, in those who want to raise a family, is just so strong. Or give her a couple feedstore chicks [​IMG]

eta: ask around, maybe someone close to you would like some eggs hatched? Broody mom can hatch and raise them up a bit, then the "new" owners can have them?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by