Broody hen but no eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by btxnew2003, May 12, 2011.

1. btxnew2003

btxnew2003 New Egg

Mar 20, 2010
    Hey everybody,

I am new here and have been a chicken mommy for a little over a year. I have 5 hens and 1 rooster, but have never had any hens brood. I finally have one brooding and got curious to see how many eggs there are. I have been so excited. I lifted her up and.......no eggs except the two wooden ones that have been in her nest box forever. They are definitely nice, warm and toasty, but I don't think they are gonna hatch. I feel so sorry for her. She will not leave those two wooden eggs. Is this normal? And, is it normal for hens not to want to brood. I have really been wanting some baby chicks. Any help will be appreciated.
    By the way, this is a Rhode Island hen. I have 3 RI hens, one RI/Americauna cross, one barnevelder and a barnevelder rooster. They are all 15 months old.

Thanks for any help you can send my way (Texas)

2. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    Yeah its normal. Hen will sit on rocks, golf balls, ice cubes, and even air. Id replace the wooden eggs with some fertile eggs.

3. btxnew2003

btxnew2003 New Egg

Mar 20, 2010
    Well, now my other problem. Since none of my other hens are brooding, I have no idea if I even have any fertile eggs. How do I know? I'm really not sure my rooster is really doing his "job", if you know what I mean. Is there an easy way to tell if any of the eggs they lay are fertile? I usually get anywhere from 3-7 eggs per day, which I think is good since I only have the 5 hens. Thank you for your help.

4. cukooformarans

cukooformarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Alabama
    There's really no way to tell if they are fertile until the have been incubated or under a broody hen for a few days. HOWEVER, chances are good that you do have fertile eggs if there's a rooster in the pen. Replace the wooden eggs with real eggs at night, I would save about 2-3 days worth of eggs (maybe 1 dozen eggs). This gives momma hen time to get more serious about setting and allows for more eggs.[​IMG] Just make sure you store the eggs pointy side down while you wait, most people suggest turning them a couple of times a day. Good luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by