Broody hen can count days?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by watership, Jan 23, 2012.

1. watership

watership Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2012
    So. Calif
    We have 3 pet pullets (7 mos old), and I recently set 6 purchased eggs in the incubator so my kids could watch & learn. Well, on day 6 of incubation, our Mottled Java went broody! The kids want her to hatch some of the eggs, so I moved her to a secure area within the run a couple days ago, and she took the move and is still sitting on those infertile eggs. I'm wondering though if she can count - if I move some fertile eggs under her tonight (day 9), do you think she'll hatch them ok, or will she sense that the chicks are coming too early and reject them?

Thanks!

2. new chick 203

new chick 203 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    I would think it would be fine, but let's see what others think.

3. watership

Jan 23, 2012
    So. Calif
    Thanks! I did a lot of searching on the forums, and it seems that most folks like to let the broody sit on eggs for a few weeks, several recommended not doing it for less than 7 days. But I figured, she's been on infertile eggs since day 6 that the incubator started, so I thought it was probably ok but just wanted the opinions of some folks more experienced than I (this is my first hatch since I was a kid!).

4. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

Oh its fine, don't worry she will take them, as long as she has already been consistantly broody for a couple days. Good luck with your hatch[​IMG]

5. watership

Jan 23, 2012
    So. Calif
    So you're saying that as long as she takes the eggs (which she did last night), she should be fine accepting the chicks, even if they hatch out a week earlier than her internal broody clock says they should?

Thanks for your help, we're all just anxious for our chicks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by