Broody hen? can I make it happen?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by freddy22, Feb 18, 2009.

1. freddy22

freddy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Illinois
    I recently put a new roo in my coop with all the other girls for breeding purposes and in exchange i took out my other roo and put him in a smaller pen.....I have 3 BO girls and dont use their eggs for incubating, so i took one of the younger ones out( about 1 yr. old) and put it in the pen with the roo to keep company.....I am really wanting one of my BO's to go broody and since i have these two together at the time and probably for a while - is there any way that I can persuade or make my hen go broody?

2. mahen8622

mahen8622 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    KY
    honestly i dont know how to make them go broody but when the ice storm hit a few weeks ago i have eggs in the bator so i brough tin 2 hens that i thought would be good moms and put the eggs in with them and they sat happy as larks til my power came back on, one of those hens had been laying eggs already the other a bantam started laying after she was in with the eggs lol [​IMG] trickery huh

3. freddy22

freddy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Illinois
    how does everyone elses broody hens work, do you just collect the eggs, store them at the right temp, wait for 10-15, and then one night just put them in a nest with a hen?

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by