Broody Hen Causing Havoc

nova022

Songster
8 Years
Aug 3, 2012
I have a broody hen who is causing havoc in the coop. She stays in the nest box until I boot her out, but promptly returns. She fights with the other pullets when they come to lay and ends up breaking most of the eggs.

Normally I would move her to another pen but everything is full at the moment and it has been too rainy to really build anything else. Do you think it would hurt to move her to a cat carrier or plastic tub for several days until she gets over the broodiness? I have a young rooster who is much smaller that I could move to the carrier/tub and give her his pen, but it seems unfair to penalize him for her bad behavior.

Any suggestions, please?

Would things calm down if you simply added a few more nest boxes so that no other hen would want the one she is using?

And how broody is she? If you take all of the eggs out of the coop, and then put a couple of eggs (fake or real) under her in a nest box or spot that none or the other hens want, will she stay there?
Or is she more stuck on this "totally perfect" nest box that for some reason all of your hens want?

Would things calm down if you simply added a few more nest boxes so that no other hen would want the one she is using?

And how broody is she? If you take all of the eggs out of the coop, and then put a couple of eggs (fake or real) under her in a nest box or spot that none or the other hens want, will she stay there?
Or is she more stuck on this "totally perfect" nest box that for some reason all of your hens want?
I wish I knew the answer to your questions. I have other nest boxes, but she just wants this one, which seems to be the preferred box. All nine of them lay their eggs there and ignore the other ones completely. I have put her in a different nest box, but since they are all in the same area she goes back to the other one. She throws the fake eggs out of the box.

As a temporary solution I ended up putting her in a very large tote with food and water and straw for bedding. It is in the large covered run so she is safe from predators and the weather. She is going crazy attacking the wire covering trying to get out. As soon as the rain lets up I am going to build an enclosure with a nest box so that if she becomes broody again I will have a place for her. I wouldn't mind her hatching some eggs when my roo is mature enough, but that is a few months away and all the broken eggs are putting her much lower on the list of favorites.

Does the cage you want to put her in, have a wire bottom? It's important for the broody buster to have a wire bottom. Then hang or elevate the broody buster, so air can get underneath the hen. Leave her in the box for at least 3 days. If after 3 days, she wants to go back on the nest, back in the box for another 2 days. You can put feed and water in there. Do not put any bedding in there, you want the air to get under her.
Jack.

Does the cage you want to put her in, have a wire bottom? It's important for the broody buster to have a wire bottom. Then hang or elevate the broody buster, so air can get underneath the hen. Leave her in the box for at least 3 days. If after 3 days, she wants to go back on the nest, back in the box for another 2 days. You can put feed and water in there. Do not put any bedding in there, you want the air to get under her.
Jack.
It does have a solid bottom. I did not know about the need for a wire bottom. I will change her to a different spot as soon as I can and make sure it has a wire bottom. Will 1/2" hardeware cloth work for the bottom or do I need to use something bigger? I will also take away the bedding. Can I let her free range with no access to the coop for a few hours each day or should she strictly stay in the broody buster. Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

I would leave her in there. You don't want her to go find a place and just sit down and set up shop. Leave her in the box to insure she gets air under her. I/2" hardwarecloth will work.
Jack

I would leave her in there. You don't want her to go find a place and just sit down and set up shop. Leave her in the box to insure she gets air under her. I/2" hardwarecloth will work.
Jack
Thanks for the help. I will leave her there and hope she gets over this quickly.

Back
Top Bottom