Broody hen changed nests on me. Want your opinion.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickendude, Jun 20, 2010.

1. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    8 days into my RIR hen brooding I found her sitting on a clutch of 9 eggs the other hens laid in another nest. It was about 85 degrees that day. I think when she got off of her nest to feed she got confused and sat on the nest next to hers. I'm not sure how long she was off of her nest, maybe 3-5 hours? She did go back on her nest and has been on it since. My question is does anybody feel her time away from her nest will have an adverse effect on the survivability of her eggs?

2. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    That is something I would like to know. I have a broody hen and a couple of times she got into an empty nest right next to the one she has been in. Twice when she got up another hen laid and egg on her clutch. I did take that egg out. I also ran her out of the box hoping she would get back on her eggs, which she did. Still can't figure out why the broody hen goes into the box next store. I'm not sure for how long either. No, no hens are on her eggs when she does this. It is very hot in the coop. I do have a fan running in there. She has access to food and water but still goes for a stroll.

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Hmmm, maybe & maybe not. You don't know just how long the hen was off the nest, and whether or not other hens were on that nest in your broody's absence. Why not candle the eggs tonight, and check them again in a few more days to see if there is growth?

Or, you could just discard them & give her new ones, she's only been setting for a week.

Or just wait another 2 weeks to see if they'll hatch.

This is why it's ideal to separate the broody hen from her coop, so she doesn't get misdirected on her way back from her breaks, or so other hens won't try to lay in her nest.

4. chickendude

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Sunny Side Up I think I am going to give the eggs a shot. I have never candled them nor any other egg for that mater. I just hope she wasn't off of them for too log of a period. I will try to candle them tomorrow night and then a week later, this sounds like the best way to check on them. Thank you.

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I had that happen and mine was off for longer and in colder weather. She still hatched 9/10 of the eggs that were good so I think you will be fine. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. chickendude

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Thanks kittymomma. I hope I am as lucky as you were.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by