Broody hen, chicks, eggs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicken Egg 17, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Hello I I have a broody hen and I just got some chicks from tractor supply and I want to get some splash silkie eggs from a breeder and have her hatch then so if I give her the chicks to raise for a about a week until I get them eggs will she take eggs again then once I take the chicks to go in the brooder with the older ones thanks in advance.

2. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    [​IMG]

Here are the baby's before I took me out to her she dosnt seem to bother them unless they are out from under her

3. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    How long as she been broody? Watch her very closely with those chicks, you don't want to come out and find that she has killed them all.
    As for your last question, If your hen has bonded with the TSC chicks she is most likely not going to sit on another clutch of eggs right after her chicks have been taken away. She may go broody again later, but probably not right away. I would keep the chicks in the brooder, there is no point (in my opinion) to give her the chicks if you are going to take them away again. If she has not been broody long I would give her some fake eggs, and than put the silkie eggs under her when you get them. Hope this helps.

4. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Ya I took the chicks back inside then just incase because we are leaving so I think hey are just staying inside and then I will get some of the eggs I want to hatch and give her she has been brooding since Sunday or Monday but she only had the chicks for probably less than 20 minutes then we left so I put them inside and gave her back her non fertile turkey eggs

5. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Sounds good. If she has only been broody for a few days than you should have no problem getting her to incubate some fertile eggs for you. Good luck!

6. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Ya I have to find a breeder first I think I found one but I haven't heard back yet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by