Broody Hen & Chicks Ordered

sgrzybin

Songster
7 Years
Sep 2, 2015
I ordered 20 more chicks over this past weekend and will be picking them up on February 6th. I came home form work today and checked on the hens and found that one has gone broody. I have a thought that I would let her set on some eggs and if they hatched great, but I would also want her to take on the new purchased chicks, thoughts?

Is there a way that I can move her and the eggs to my brooder pen and keep her broody to raise the new chicks?

I would not prolong broodiness any longer than normal. I’ve found hens generally need to be broody for over two weeks to accept chicks.
20 chicks is too much for a hen. If you don’t give her eggs, you could slip about eight chicks under her, if they’re day old. She will not raise chicks and incubate eggs at the same time.

That makes sense. So in moving her, is it possible to move her and the nest into the brooder without her abandoning the nest?

That makes sense. So in moving her, is it possible to move her and the nest into the brooder without her abandoning the nest?

So then a best case scenario would be if I have another hen or two go broody.

I don't know where you live but if you are in winter, moving a hen from an outdoor coop into a heated brooder will be at least uncomfortable but potentially dangerous as she is very likely to overheat and probably be stressed. That number of chicks would be far too many so you would need a heat source other than her for most of them. If you want her to hatch eggs, leave her where she is and just give her a few and raise the chicks you have ordered in the brooder as you had initially intended. You will need a plan to deal with whatever cockerels she hatches.

So then a best case scenario would be if I have another hen or two go broody.

Or you could just hand raise them? It’s unlikely you’ll get more broody hens that’ll be ready for chicks in the next few weeks. Best bet- card board box and an electric heat source

I don't know where you live but if you are in winter, moving a hen from an outdoor coop into a heated brooder will be at least uncomfortable but potentially dangerous as she is very likely to overheat and probably be stressed. That number of chicks would be far too many so you would need a heat source other than her for most of them. If you want her to hatch eggs, leave her where she is and just give her a few and raise the chicks you have ordered in the brooder as you had initially intended. You will need a plan to deal with whatever cockerels she hatches.
Winter is definitely here. The brooder pen is in the same coop with the nests and where they roost separated by fencing and netting, so they temp is the same. A ceramic heat source will be used for chicks (not lamps or bulbs) when they arrive. I have a decent setup and am able to completely separate new chicks from the existing flock. Both chicks and existing flock are in full view of each other both outside and while roosting. This makes blending the flocks easier. This is the first time that I have had a hen go broody at the time I ordered more chicks and was trying to take advantage of the natures way of raising chicks instead of humanizing it.

You have good intentions but twenty chicks and a hen just won’t work, so I’d take them into your own hands and let her hatch some of her own babies :)

Back
Top Bottom