Broody hen.. Could she accept week old chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Oneacre Homestead, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Oneacre Homestead

Oneacre Homestead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Hi I have a hen that has been sitting in her nest with no eggs for a week. I also have some week old chicks. Do you all think I could try to get her to adopt them or are they too old?
    Thanks!!

2. Skittlez

Skittlez Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    Rockford
    I think it really depends on your hen. If you give her the babies, do it at night when she is all tucked in. Watch her closely to make sure she does accept them. My silkie will adopt anything literally. We got her when she was 4 months old and put her in the basement brooder with the week olds. The polish would fly out of their little brooder and tuck under the silkie. She was fine with it even though she wasn't even laying eggs yet. She just hatched 2 eggs a little over a week ago. I ended up with another broody hatch 5 babies, but was not interacting with them. So I gave the 5 babies to the silkie who took them in just fine. Even though her chicks were a week old, she took the day olds too. The other broody ended up with more eggs. Do you know anyone that has fertile eggs you could give to your hen?

3. Oneacre Homestead

Oneacre Homestead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Thanks for your response, I think I will give it a try. I think i am going to try to put her in a bigger nest today and put some chicks in there tonight. Will I know right away if she has accepted them, or will I need to get up early to find out?
    I am sure I could find some fertile eggs, but I really don't want more chicks this year... I have 27 plus 6 ducklings and four goslings!
    I go out in the garden and pick things for them and chop them up.. My very DH says "what are you making? Something good?" and I confess I am cooking for the baby birds!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by