Broody hen covers best after 3 chicks hatch

Blueidfrog

In the Brooder
Jul 22, 2019
My Russian orlof was broody she had other hens eggs in her best, once they started to hatch I got a new chick everyday after day 3 she covered the best and wouldn't sit on it anymore.

This typically happens as the hens instincts are for her to take her babies to get food and water she can't stay still with her babies trying to roam. I would candle the eggs left in her nest and try to incubate the live ones. As they hatch you can slip them under her during the night.

My couchin is broody now, if I take the chicks as they hatch and put them in a brooder, well she be more likely to sit on the rest of them?

I believe that would work, I usually set the eggs all the same day and Mark them with either permanent marker or egg stamps and check under her every other day to make sure they will all hatch around the same day. But I think if you take them as they hatch it will work but just a heads up most hens only accept chicks around a week or two old.

IMG_20190722_104816.jpg IMG_20190722_104822.jpg Thank you so much she only has about 8. And she also let other hen lay in her box, so who know what we'll get. Daddy is an Americana. These are the last 3 babies the Russian hatched

Okay 2 hatched today. One earlier (already dry) and one still wet. I'm thinking I should take the dry but, I don't want it to be lonely. Will it be okay by itself for a day. I want momma to hatch as many as possible. She has 11 possible eggs left to hatch and I don't have an incubator. But I also don't want to stress her out.

I would leave it, chicks don't need to go get food or water for 72 hours after hatching so the mom won't try to leave. The important thing right now is to leave the mom alone as much as possible if any eggs have pips when you pick her up they could begin to dry out or she could crush the eggs trying to get back to them. I would collect the chicks tonight or tomorrow morning but only pick her up at most once a day, if you can handle it I know it's hard.

Ok, sounds good. She's totally lovey and trusting, just don't want to make her mad. Thank you for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom