Broody hen cracked open hatching egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 1WildHairL8tr, Aug 14, 2008.

1. 1WildHairL8tr

1WildHairL8tr Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, Texas
    The last remaining egg pipped last night and was chirping.
    We were all so excited!!
    This morning I could see some black feathers and the egg was still rocking away.
    I just checked again and the egg has been smushed (it's cracked all over and the inner white membrane is exposed) and the hen is picking away at the shell. I see no movement at all.
    What should I do?
    Should I remove the egg from her and try to let it hatch out without her?
    I know it's not the other hens, they can't get to her.
    I'm so heartbroken.
    Do you think she was just too eager? She would have been a first time momma.

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Cross your fingers, the chick may be resting to get ready for the final push.

Instincts take over and the hen will help it if need be, I'd just leave it alone for awhile.

3. 1WildHairL8tr

Nov 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Oh Gosh.
    The baby's entire upper body is exposed now except for some of the white membrane over the baby's eye/face.
    Poor baby.

4. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Can he breath OK?

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Can you touch the chick to make sure it is still alive?

6. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I would be tempted to remove the membrane from its face if it is stuck on there - or will the momma not let you near it?

7. 1WildHairL8tr

Nov 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, Texas
    The baby won't breathe.
    Won't move.
    Just curled up, lifeless.
    I'm so sad.
    This poor baby.
    My kids wanted to name it "Hulk".
    It looks completely formed -- no obvious deformities. However, it's not fully feathered and it's eyes don't look ready to open.
    Do you think she just got anxious?
    Maybe there is something wrong with the chick and she knew it?
    Is there such a thing as a bad mom? I thought since she's broody, she had that maternal instinct and would be okay.
    She's still sitting on her nest, empty nest.
    What a sad day.

8. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I'm sorry :aww

Krista

9. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Poor baby,poor mama. Does she have other hatched chicks? Sometimes first time broodies can get too eager. I had one peck the shells away too early on all of her chicks and they died. Your hen may have realized the baby was having trouble and tried to help. In that instance,I go on and remove the egg and help hatch the chick,but I have to say,not very many of them survive. I too,hate to find fully developed chicks unhatched in the egg,but at least if they are under a broody,I know its not a temp or humidity error on my part and just have to accept that the chick was too weak to make it.

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sorry for your loss. Sometimes the mother hen can tell when something is not right. However, next time, don't go peeking under momma hen for the last few days. The humidity needs to be under there and the more you pick up the hen the moisture escapes and the chick can dry out and not make it. Best of luck in the future.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by