Broody Hen cross post

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by glorianel5, Jul 5, 2011.

1. glorianel5

glorianel5 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2010
    I have a broody hen and she has been sitting for a very long time. First set of
    eggs did not hatch not a single one of them. They were fertile but nothing
    happened. I candled the first set and knew that they were not developing so I
    got on it an ordered some more online.
    Fast forward to now approximately 19 days into her sitting. Yesterday when she
    came out, early when it was cool, to poop and drink some water I found one egg
    cracked under the bunch. No worries for me though it was a dud nothing but yoke
    and white. Today she comes out to poop and drink and there is another broken egg
    this one had a dead peeper in it.
    I just felt so bad, for her, for me, for all of us.
    Long winded opening to my question, is this normal? This is my first time with a
    broody hen.
    How long after 21 days should I let her sit? If she hatches 1 or more should I
    then candle the rest and take them away if they are not viable and or alive?
    Once she hatches some will she stop sitting on the rest? does she know if her
    eggs are viable or not?
    thanks for your help
    jen
    ps I just found a cracked shell with membrane intact with a dead peeper inside no movement no nothing
    ah help please

2. Niss

Niss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    I am a first timer too, so I do not have advice. I am sorry about your problems, and will follow this thread incase I can learn something about my situation since my gal has lodt half her eggs and at day 21 nothing has hatched.

3. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    i'd leave them under her. sometimes broodies accidentally crush there eggs and it's just the way it is. it doesn't mean you won't get SOME chicks. leave them under her until around day 23 or 24. if there is nothing after that listen for peeping from inside the shell, candle, and then do an "eggtopsy" if you feel the need to. that's carefully cracking open the egg to see if there was in fact a chick inside.

4. glorianel5

Oct 7, 2010
    Thanks tomorrow will be day 20. From what I have read broodys will hatch at day 20 incubators at day 21. Suggestion from a friend and some other reading says to get some day olds and slip them in in the cover of darkness. Remove the eggs insert quiet peepers and hope for the best.
    She and I were really hoping for some hatchlings. (ok so it is really just me but I think she wanted it too)
    Maybe she will be broody again in the future, Im willing to try again if she is.
    I will keep y'all posted.
    j

5. Niss

Apr 29, 2011
    It sounds like you are taking all this rather well. I'm still hoping you get some peeps out of it though. I read a few posts about late hatchers. The hubby said I need to get rid of our eggs this weekend if they still haven't hatched--that will be day 25. I don't know if I can find chicks this time of year...
    Please let us know what happens, what you try, if it works...all that.

6. glorianel5

Oct 7, 2010
    Today I went out to the "brood" box, it is really just a dog carrier, to check on the eggs. So much loss this week.
    When Prissy stepped out to poop and drink I picked up each egg and gave it a tap with my finger nail...drum roll
    please yep I got a pip out of one egg. So exciting. I had to leave to go get some things in town 1 hour each way.
    Im back now and there is a perfect little one out of the box walking around all dry and perfect. I will post photos
    soon. Cross you fingers that she can hatch a few more in the next 24 or Im taking the rest so she can raise what she
    has. Oh so cute fluffy and yellow beautiful baby.
    j

7. Rhondax6

Rhondax6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Cheboygan, Michigan
    oh yay! I hope more hatch!

8. glorianel5

Oct 7, 2010
    So here is an update. Out of the 2 sets of eggs 12 in the first 15 in the second we just got the one chick.
    Amazing to me that when I tapped the shell it peeped back at me. I still just can not believe it.
    Prissy is a good momma. I was worried that she would not come out to eat or take the peeper out to eat and drink (it is 75 at night
    and reaching 102-105 in the day). Well yesterday I sat outside the box and had a talk with Prissy.
    "Prissy" I said "you have to come out and feed that little one you have to eat yourself. You have been sitting for over 40 days, this is
    long enough. I will give you until tomorrow evening and then Im taking the last 2 eggs. If they do not peep back at me by tomorrow night
    then we are done with them. Do you hear me loud and clear?"
    Well today she was out feeding and Prima/o was eating chick starter and have a nice time checking stuff out.
    About an hour ago, when Prissy and Prima/o were out I check the last 2 eggs and they were not viable, candled them and could see that they
    were duds. So into the trash they went. Stinky stinky stinky. The box has been cleaned and smells fresh with new shavings and some DE for good
    measure. Have a said how proud I am of this hen Prissy, she is not a year old yet and she sat her first brood with the patients of the Buddha.
    Maybe next time she will have better luck.
    Thanks for all the support and kind words.
    Jen

9. Niss

Apr 29, 2011
    Thanks for the update! That's really cool that the chick peeped at you!
    Did I read this correctly that you gave her a clutch then when they didn't hatch a second clutch? My broody has 4 left that may be viable. I thought about giving her chicks, but the only day-olds I can find are bantums--not sure I want more of them. I would consider letting her have new eggs, but I just don't keno if that would be too hard on her...then again I don't know if I could break her either. At least my mama is getting up to eat and drink...maybe too much and that's why the chicks are late.

10. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I suppose this is one of the advantages of hatching with a broody - it's not a disaster if you only get one chick. If that was an incubator hatch you'd have one awfully lonely little peeper but with a mama hen to hang out with, a single baby is going to do just fine. So glad you got a chick in the end. I have a broody who is two weeks into sitting on 8 eggs and I'm starting to get excited as she gets closer to 21 days...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by