1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody Hen CURED!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ebhoneybees, Mar 5, 2009.

1. ebhoneybees

ebhoneybees Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2008
    Many thanks to the BYC folks for helping me to cure my broody hen. I took all of the advice and used it to get that hen off the nest. If it helps, here is what I did - in only 3 days!!

Day One - I put her into a wire dog cage inside the chicken run where she could see her friends and they were very comforting to her. Food and water were available to her. She was very agitated and ran around like a nut, but her friends lay down next to the cage and clucked to her. That night I put her back in the coop where she ran right to her nest.

Day Two - In the morning, back into the chicken prison. She was a little better on day two, but still got all puffed up when I tried to take her out, like she was protecting her non existent chicks. That night I put her onto the roost where she stayed for a minute, but then jumped down and went right to the nest.

Day Three - Back to the chicken jail!! This day she seemed much calmer and wasn't puffing up. She was talking to her friends and interacting. This night I waited until after dark and put her up on the roost where she stayed until I opened the coop in the AM. There she was!! She jumped out and ran over to me saying "I'm back!!".

Thanks again for all the advice. It really worked and I'm hoping for some eggs soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by