1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody hen day 17..moving forward ok or not to remove addition eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sarahandjay, Nov 8, 2015.

1. sarahandjay

sarahandjay Chillin' With My Peeps

I scanned a few of the old posts about broody hens and couldn't find the answer or I may have missed it. I know day 18 is considered lock down and I am amusing it is about the same when dealing with a broody hen.

My question is simply is it ok to move her for a minute just to get the other eggs that the other hens decide to lay on top of her or behind her or the ones she sometimes steals lol. Up until this point I have been but I know "lockdown" would begin soon and I do not want to mess up this up for her. I am going to assume the answer is that it will be okay but wanted advice or reassurance that it will be okay or not.

I have candled them and out of the 7 there is one dud and the EE egg I just have to wait and see bc I cant see thru the shell.
    Thanks in advance

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It will be OK to continue to remove eggs, but it would be even better to arrange things so that other hens can not access her. They may inadvertently break the hatching eggs which are more vulnerable once the chicks start pipping, and may also kill the newly hatched chicks. Good luck for a successful hatch.

3. sarahandjay

Thank you for your quick response. I do have away to section off the part of the coop she is in. She is also in a small carrier that I was planning on keeping shut. I haven't done that as of yet because I wanted to make sure she had access to get out of the coop etc. But I will be closing the carrier and installing the wire screen for that part of the coop in the next day or so. Things have been a bit hectic as my husband hurt himself and we have been going back and for to the hospital for the last few days so I am a bit behind with the safety measures. I also still have the broody box set up in case I need to completely just have her inside but was hoping to not have to do that.
    Thank you again

4. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I would be hesitant to close the carrier on the outside chance that she may need to defecate and foul the nest if she can't get out. No need for thanks - it's fun trying to help. Good luck to your husband. I am not a 'good' patient. It's a 'guy' thing.

5. sarahandjay

Attached is the picture of the setup right now. Excuse the mess on the poop board as I have yet to do the morning clean up. I moved her nest inside a carrier to make transport easier if need be. I am planning on screening off the whole bottom part of that section. Will that work. I have no idea as this our first year and I am at times just winging it. As much as I want to help I also just want to let them be chickens and do what they do naturally. Its been exciting to watch her and to show the kids the eggs development this time around. Oh i also attached a picture of my hubbys eye because well I think it is rather neat looking.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Is your husband a Na'Vis? (Hopefully you will have seen the movie Avatar and know what I mean.)

If you can block her off in that section, it would be great.

7. sarahandjay

LOL I didn't see it until you mentioned it. we did ask the doctors if we could come in next Halloween for costume makeup. I enclosed that section of the coop and got it all nice and cozy for the new arrivals....should be very soon!!!!

8. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    How did things go?

9. sarahandjay

Not so well :( we didnt have any chicks. if she tries again come spring/summer i will let her go. Learned alot this round so maybe next time it will be a succeful hatch.

10. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hopefully you/she will have better luck next time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by