Broody hen day 17--need to move her

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by QChickieMama, Apr 3, 2018.

1. QChickieMama

QChickieMama Songster

Oct 1, 2011
    Can I successfully move my broody and her clutch tomorrow? She's been in an elevated nest box, and I can't have the chicks falling out of there.

I can either just remove the cinderblocks beneath the nest box and set it flat on the ground or I could put window screening over the face of the nest box.

Suggestions? I don't want to super upset the mama, and I forgot to deal with this earlier.

2. BoyTheRooster

BoyTheRooster Songster

Jan 11, 2018
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    I wouldn't move her until the eggs hatch. Block of the front of the nest box so the chicks can't fall out, wait until a day after they've all hatched, then move them to their new location at night
    The chicks won't need food or water for 2 or so days after hatching, so you'll be fine on that front

QChickieMama likes this.
  3. Robert G

Robert G Songster

Jan 23, 2018
    South Texas
    I've put a screen in front of mine before So the chicks wouldn't fall out. My hens have always been nice and allow me to give them food and water. After the first day I moved them to their new home without any issues.

QChickieMama likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: