1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody hen + day old chicks??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by srsmith69, Sep 18, 2009.

1. srsmith69

srsmith69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Has anyone had any luck ordering day old chicks and placing them under a broody hen? Seems like my dad use to do this, but don't know if there's a trick to get the hen to accept that her eggs just all of a sudden hatched.

Problem is, I live in town and don't have a rooster. Hen's still get broody. Would like to raise some chicks, but don't want to worry about them in a brooder. Can I fool mother nature and mother hen and get the hen to be my brooder?

2. juliecox

juliecox Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Arlington, TX
    It depends on the hen, really. I've heard of some hens that are wise to their people, and it doesn't work with them, THEY KNOW. Then there are hens so broody they will raise anything. For instance, when I added a six-month-old Silkie pullet to my flock, my Australorp was absurdly delighted with her new "chick"! Went around protecting her, showing her how to scratch, cuddling her ... and the Silkie thought it was great too! She had a mama again! Funny birds.

So! The moral of the story is that very broody birds are usually easier to fool than the less maternal breeds. I've heard that adding the chicks at night betters your odds too, since the hens wake up to find the chicks there, instead of warily watching you add them to the nest.

3. juliecox

juliecox Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Arlington, TX
    Oh and btw - it's cheaper and even easier to order fertile eggs for a broody hen right after she goes broody, and let her hatch "her" eggs! I've done that twice with the Australorp, with great results.

4. srsmith69

srsmith69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the reply.

5. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    I have done it and had good results but then again had a bad experience too. You never know until you try but the best thing to do is get some fertile eggs under her and let her hatch them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by