Broody hen- Dealing with the heat

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by maggie&thechicks, Jun 19, 2010.

1. maggie&thechicks

maggie&thechicks Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2009
    Central NC
    I have a broody hen (BO) that I'd like to let hatch some eggs. She has done this before and is a very good setter and mother but I'm concerned about the heat this time. It wasn't so hot before; now it's >90*, sometimes as high as 98* in the daytime, high humidity. She has a stall in the barn with a fan but when I give her her eggs she will not leave the nest for longer than a couple minutes a day. She won't let me feed her or give her water, she just "zones out". I don't want to lose my hen to heat stroke! She lost a lot of weight the last time she brooded. Right now I can "dump" her out of the nest and she will eat and drink and poke around for an hour or so before she goes back but she doesn't have any eggs.

Ideas?

Thanks,
    Maggie

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

do what you are doing...

3. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Quote:[​IMG]

4. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Maggie, I hear ya...In NC too. I've got 5 hens broody in the coop. They won't budge. I've physically taken them out to get cold drinks, snacks, etc. [​IMG] I have all windows and doors open and a fan on high....still so darn hot. Supposed to be 99 on Thursday. I've only had a chicken die when the temp reached 106 outside, in 2007. Just hope they'll be OK. [​IMG]

5. macmama

macmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    Mine are brooding in 110 degree weather with no problems-- but I do make sure they're shaded all day, and I do physically remove them and make sure they drink every day.

6. AZKat

AZKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    I had chicks successfully hatch when the temp was over 100 during incubation. If its hot, the hen will keep the eggs from getting too hot. Trust your broody, she knows what she's doing.

7. atira

atira Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2012
    southern Ohio
    My broody only has 7 days to go before hatching and the heat here is in the 90's with high humidity. She is barely sitting on the nest but she is constantly panting. The pen/coop is shaded on top and half way down the sides on 3 sides and the coop has 2 open windows and an open door. She is so hot. One of the other hens decided to pick on her and try to get her off of the nest but she wouldn't budge and took the beating. The offending hen went to "chicken jail" which is a portable run but with this heat she can't be out there with no shade. So I am seeking counseling for her and her aggression and attitude problems.
    I worry about my broody, but I trust that she knows more than I do about raising chicks.

8. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I have 3 broodies right now. 2 of them have decided to share the same nest, so I gave them 5 turkey eggs to share. Those eggs are due in 6 days. I always keep 3-4 large gallon size jugs of water/ice in the freezer and I sit them out each morning in different places and I always put one in the coop with the broody girls. You can also sit the frozen jugs in front of a fan to cool the blowing air.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by