Broody Hen delivers!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CrazyFowlFreak, Apr 14, 2011.

1. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    In more ways than one [​IMG]
    I purchased a Frizzled Serama Rooster and smooth-feathered Hen from Ourlittleflock back on 2/23/11. I also got some eggs and other chicks and chickens. I was most excited about the Frizzled Seramas and Cochins, though. The Serama hen, which my kids named Wanda since the roo was called Cosmo (after the cartoon Fairly Oddparents) started laying immediately. I kept some eggs and we ate them for awhile. Eventually, after she had settled in, we decided to see if she'd sit on some as a lark. Sure enough, four days of laying and she went broody. I candled her eggs and she graciously let me. She kicked one out of the nest after a few days and it was a quitter, and then a week or so later while candling I noticed another quitter. Out that one went, too. That left two. I checked in on her just a few minutes ago while feeding and watering all the babies in the garage (not old enough to go out yet) and sure enough, she had two beautiful, tiny chicks! I am so excited! One was all pale yellow with darkish colored wing feathers and one was dark chocolate brown with milk chocolate points. I can't wait to see if either of them is a frizzle or what color they will turn out to be someday! I will get pictures as soon as I can. I checked wing feathers and they both appear to be girls. Cross your fingers! Either way, they're both staying here.

Also, I cannot believe how teeny tiny they are! I've never seen chicks so small. <3 I am in love.

2. Caliphe

Caliphe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Can't wait to see pictures!

3. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Congrats!!!! I want a broody hen really bad! I have a new incubator that has 5 dozen eggs in there right now. I am going to put in 4-5 dozen in there tomorrow! 1 batch due to hatch May 1st! I'm super excited!

4. doramechicks

doramechicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2011
    Dalton Gardens Idaho
    Congrats, I have my first Boody sitting on some eggs and I am so excited! She has only been sitting for 2 days so I have awhile to wait!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by