broody hen + duck eggs = sucess?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLM, Feb 2, 2015.

1. AmyLM

AmyLM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2011
    Buckley washington
    I have a number of bloody hens that would really like to hatch something.... ones been trying to hatch 6 goofballs fora month now. I sell all of my eggs though and usually have none left over week to week. What I do have that I'd like to hatch is 8 duck eggs from my ducks (probably fertile).

I would like to put them under a hen but has anyone had any success with this method?

If I do this would it be better to put them under my silkies, sizzles, my dark cornish (aka the goofball hatcher), or my rock who's a tad... shall I say... aggressive in protecting her nest.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Chicken hens do a fine job of hatching and raising ducklings. Some hens will quit prior to the 4 (or 5 week with Muscovy) week incubation period, but most do not. I would not use the hen who has already been broody for a month. It is very unlikely that she would set that long - as a matter of fact she might die on the nest. Broodiness can be quite debilitating to some hens who just do not eat enough while setting.

3. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    [​IMG]
    I had a girl duck who laid 2 eggs in the rain and left them. I put the eggs under a bantam. both hatched. and she was a good mom to them. when the ducks were all grown, I saw the 2 of them walk past the momma hen and look at eachother, like "that was our mom" and they nodded at her in respect.

4. AmyLM

AmyLM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2011
    Buckley washington
    Awww. Well I'm going to try it. Per my mom's suggestion I will mark the eggs and put like 2 under each hen that way if something bad happens I won't loose all of them hopefully.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by