Broody Hen Eats egg????

chica chicka chook

Hatching
8 Years
May 24, 2011
My chickens that i bought as a trio with a rooster and another hen are all wyandotte bantams.
At first only one of the hens was laying then after a while the other started up too. Then my dog killed the first layer
sad.png
and the other kept on laying. Then recently this second layer went broody, I was excited as this is only my second experiance of a clocking hen, and this is the second layers first time that i am aware of. So after i checked her the first day, she had on bantam egg. The days after that (2) she still had the one, i asumed she lay more under her, but no. So on the 3 day of setting i put two other larger eggs but not much larger. She seemed fine with this then i moved her into her new hutch on the 5th day, she was fine and not put off at all. She had plenty of food and water and i checked her everyday. But on her last week of setting i had to go on holiday and my dad had to care for her. He fed and watered and checked her everyday, but not beeing a chook man he never thouht to look under her!

When i arrived back (yesturday) on her 21st day (alothough i have a feeling it is 19 for bantams?) there was one egg missing!
I checked for holes where rats could get in, no.
I checked her bedding, there was no trace of egg shell or anything! Wierd.
The two left were a banty and a large, so she had eaten the large.

So i decided to do the float test on the 2 remaning eggs, i took one of the large and put it in the hot water it started bobbing up and down, a good sign. Then i heard cheeping! It was coming from the egg in the bowl, i heard this is possible. So i put it back and she accepted it back into the nest.

So this morning i went out and checked and there was only the cheeping egg left! The bantam egg had gone!
I thought that if she takes the last egg, the large cheeping one, that she would definately eat a chick.

Anyone else had an experiance like this?
Any solutions or Answers?

I dont want her to eat the last egg!

I have. I had 2 eggs come up missing during incubation and really couldn't figure if I missed counted or what. After the chicks started hatching I had one that had zipped but never came out. I said I would give it till the next morning before I removed the egg. Well low & behold it was gone. I posted the same thing and found this is a pretty common occurence!! Basically I was told that they pretty much can sense or know when a egg is bad or a chick has died and eat it for the protein!!
idunno.gif

Wow thats cool, well hopefully this cheeping one will hatch and she wont eat it haha, i knew they liked egg but not chick meat!
Does this mean when she goes back to normal she might eat her eggs that she lays?

Back
Top Bottom