1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody Hen + eBay Eggs= Leave Her Be?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rwcmick, Jul 14, 2008.

1. rwcmick

rwcmick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2007
    My buff has gone broody and I have taken sympathy on her and decided to buy some fertile eggs for her to sit on. The eggs should be here in the next few days.

My question is this. I have a henspa and the nesting boxes are upstairs. She is currently camped out in the middle box. I am planning to block off the back of the middle box and stuff some straw in there. The I'll deposit the eggs and let her be.

1. Is it okay to leave her in there w/ the other hens? They won't murder her chicks, will they?

2. Since the nesting box is on the second floor, I'm worried about the babies? Will they fall to the second floor?

Thanks!

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Best to put her in her own enclosure with food and water...some hens will leave a broody with chicks alone, some will be after them....the chicks will start coming out of the nest, will fall and not be able to get back...my thoughts

3. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    This makes me happy! Good luck with your babies and your happy broody hen!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. rwcmick

rwcmick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2007
    thanks. i really don't have another enclosure to put her in, any ideas on something cheap and easy? could i leave her in until they hatch?

5. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    I'm too new to be any real help, but can you get a roll of hardware cloth and put a circle around her, or maybe get a big box to put her in to keep the other chickens away? Someone who knows what they're doing will answer you, I'm sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by