broody hen, egg removed will she leave the nest

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tykris99, Feb 7, 2009.

1. tykris99

tykris99 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2008
    Harwinton
    I have a broody silkie who has plucked all of her feathers off her belly to sit on my buff orp egg. She threw her egg out of the nest and I did move her off the nest and took the buff orp egg. She did eat but right back to the nest. Will she continue to sit with no egg. From my understanding I'm new to this I just have to keep moving her. I'm worried she will be chilled with no feathers as we have been down to 0 degrees with even worse wind chills (we are in a warm up right now thank goodness)
    Also is it common for them to pluck their own feathers

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    yes they will pluck thier own feathers, and she may still sit. You can keep throwing her off the nest, or put her in a wire bottom cage.

3. sewincircle

sewincircle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central New York
    Broody is tough to break in my experience. I have three broody pants right now and I have thrown them out of the nest everyday for 4 weeks. I even let one hatch out two babies for me. She still sits. I took the babies because it is too cold out there right now. That was sad. I like the wire bottom cage idea above. If you put them in a wire bottom cage and make them uncomfortable they are supose to shape up quick. I just dont have any extra wire cages. Let alone 3 of them. Good luck!!!

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    My silkie just went broody a few days ago. I moved her into another run with 2 unfamiliar room mates. Hopefully that will keep her busy. But her little sounds are killing me [​IMG]

5. sewincircle

sewincircle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central New York
    I know!!! Its awful! When I took broody pants babies she hatched away, I almost cried. And they were not even her eggs!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by