Broody hen.. eggs didn't hatch..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jennyhaschicks, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    I didn't mark it down, but I think my broody silkie has been laying on her eggs for about 24 days. She is on 2 barred rock eggs.
    I haven't candled them yet, but if my days aren't off they obviously should have hatched by now. [​IMG] What do I do? Poor thing was so good about sitting on those eggs. I feel bad just taking them away from her and leaving her with no eggs? I would give her some more to try, but she has all ready been on there a long time.

Please someone advise me on how to handle this. [​IMG]

2. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    I feel your pain, as I have had a game hen on the nest for 24 days now and am wondering how to handle the situation??? HELP SOMONE!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]m PLEASE [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I will be watching this thread closely..... I hope you get an answer [​IMG]

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Chances are if you stick more eggs under her she will get off of them half way thru but then again im no expert. Candle the eggs and put them up to your ear to see if you can hear any tapping or peeping, they may just be a bit delayed, if the temps drop the eggs take longer to hatch

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by