Broody hen Fighting Others

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TheTwoRoos, Jun 22, 2016.

1. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Our broody hen is a fairly protective mom.She is not afraid to attack any of the hens she has beaten before,and they generally run.Most of our hens have not been to friendly,infact a pretty "Irregular" fight broke out.

The hens and rooster are very aware she is there,and that those are her chicks,and the lower hens quickly learned not to touch.

I decided to force them together (Putting them near each others).I did this with my red sexlink.All of a sudden my broody mama gave her life and jump the red sex link (Who is Mrs.Prissy).

Most fights I see are usually just jumping back in fourth with itty bitty pecks on the head.the only time things get "Deep" are when I have "Re" introduced a hen back into the flock,pecking order fights here are deadly.My red sexlink has had a bad rep of being dominate,and long lasting in fights (I know this because I generally do not stop fights.)I almost think she is part Game hen,which is know way good,because none of the birds here can take a bloody fight....and I do not want them to have too.

Well,this is what happened.as I mentioned,the broody jumped Mrs.Prissy,and both got it pretty bad,but nos cars.They were jumping,kicking,grabbing,and it almost look like they were going for each others throats.Me being me,I had no intentions of stopping things,since my rooster was already in the process of getting things under control.He beat the broody hen mainly because he doesn't like her anyways (Not sure why,all started once she hatched the babies.

It's gonna be so hard getting everybody along.....

Any tips?

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Why would you force them to get near each other if she was edgy? Never, ever do that. The broody hen will take care of keeping the others away. Just let them be. There might be an occasional fight but after she kicks the chicks out they should all get along again. How old are her chicks? Can you put her and the chicks in their own little area separate from the others for a while?

3. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    They are 5 or6 days old.I figured getting themnear each other would help them get along,and get to know the chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by