Broody hen foot feathers

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gimmie birdies, May 25, 2018.

1. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Crowing

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I was just out in my coop and I heard a distress call from a baby chick. when I opened the coop, I saw a chick struggling by feather footed cochin bantam momma hen, I thought she may have been sitting on the baby or it's foot. On closer look the chick was tangled in the momma hen's foot feathers. I went back to the house and grabbed scissors and clipped the feathers. The chick was fine, but I dipped it's beak in water, because I was not sure how long it was stuck. It seemed to run about and act normal so it could not have been too long, but if I didn't discover the poor thing, it could have been bad. I am sure it was not good for the little chicks neck. Things happen.:th

2. dunnmom

dunnmom Crowing

Mar 30, 2016
    Oklahoma
    My broody recently hatched chicks. One of them died under her, stuck to her belly feathers by what I'm almost certain was unabsorbed egg yolk. She was really upset and was tripping over it, so I had to grab it and yank it off really fast like taking off a bandaid. The chick had a broken neck from being dragged/trampled. I felt awful, but like you said, things happen.

3. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Crowing

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    These chicks were 2 weeks old. But I could see what you say happened. Sometimes the hen accidently crushes and egg...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: